Exhibition Ticket - Nicolas de Staël
From September 15 2023 to January 21 2024, immerse yourself in the life and work of Nicolas de Staël (1914-1955), one of the most influential figures of post-war French modern art at the Musée d'Art Moderne de Paris!
Admire a selection of no fewer than 200 works: paintings, drawings, prints and notebooks, from public and private collections in Europe and the United States.
Alongside the most emblematic paintings, also discover more than 50 rarely exhibited pieces, some shown for the first time in a French museum.
Presented chronologically, the exhibition invites you to follow Nicolas de Staël's frenetic pictorial quest step by step. From his first figurative steps and his dark canvases in the 1940s to his last paintings before his untimely death in 1955, discover how his art unaffected by trends disrupted the borders between abstraction and figuration.
Follow de Staël's journeys, from his early years in Paris to his famous trip to Sicily in 1953, via his move to Vaucluse and his last months in Antibes, facing the sea.
The artist strives to imagine new paths, creating a work that is rich and complex, dense and concise, in reaction to his "inevitable need to break everything when the machine seems to be running too smoothly".
From the intimacy of his studio, take an unprecedented look at the artist's life, from his exile after the Russian Revolution to his tragic suicide at the age of 41.
An exclusive preview: enjoy an extract from the documentary "Nicolas de Staël, la peinture à vif" broadcast continuously in the exhibition rooms.
If you're looking for a unique opportunity to explore the revolutionary creativity of Nicolas de Staël, this exhibition is a must-see!
Opening days and times
- Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 6pm
- Nocturne on Thursday evenings until 9:30pm for temporary exhibitions only
- Extended opening on Saturday evenings until 8pm for the Nicolas de Staël exhibition only.
Pricing and conditions
- Adult ticket: € 16.70
- Free for under 18s, disabled persons and accompanying adults (subject to ID).
- Ticket valid for selected date and time.
- Tickets cannot be changed, exchanged or refunded.
Get to the Musée des Arts Modernes de Paris
- Metro: line 9 - Alma-Marceau or Iéna
- Bus: lines 32, 63, 82 - Iéna; lines 42, 80, 92 - Alma-Marceau; line 72 - Musée d'Art moderne
AddressMUSEE D'ART MODERNE VILLE DE PARIS
11, avenue du Pdt Wilson
75116 PARIS 16