Musée de Montmartre & Renoir gardens
At the heart of Montmartre village, the 17th-century Bel Air House holds one of the capital’s most charming museums. The house owes its fame to the artists who lived and worked there: including the great Impressionist master Auguste Renoir, as well as Suzanne Valadon, Émile Bernard and the Fauve artists Émile-Othon Friesz and Raoul Dufy.
The cabaret capital
Set in an authentic period decor, photos, canvases and posters pay homage to Montmartre icons like the Moulin Rouge. And the French Cancan and the Chat Noir Cabaret have a whole room devoted to them. Meanwhile, an immersive show in the Claude Charpentier room traces the history and cultural effervescence of Montmartre through the eyes of the painter Suzanne Valadon.
Continue the visit by exploring the four rooms of Valadon’s studio-apartment, restored to look as it did at the time. Behind bay windows, the bedroom of her son, the artist Maurice Utrillo, is impressively true-to-life. Meanwhile, the adjacent Hôtel Demarne building holds temporary exhibitions.
A patch of countryside in the heart of Paris
The museum’s setting alone warrants the visit: the Renoir Gardens provided the backdrop for one of Renoir’s masterpieces, The Swing, on display at the Musée d’Orsay, and today offer an unprecedented view over the north of Paris and the Clos Montmartre vineyard.
Access and contact
Metro Lamarck-Caulaincourt, Abbesses stations (line 12)
Days and opening hours
All year round, daily between 10 am and 6 pm. April to September: 10am to 7pm. 25th December and 1st January : 11:30 am to 6 pm. Night time every thursday in July and August until 10 pm. Café Renoir : wednesday to sunday 12:15 pm to 5:00 pm from October to April and 7 days a week 12:15 pm to 6 pm from 1st May.
- 9.5 €
- Adult: 9.50 to 12 € Teenager (10-17 years): 6 € Student: 9 to 8.50 € (18-25 years and visitors with disabilities). Free entry for children < 10 years, press. Group rate available for > 15 people. Free entry: tourism professionals, ICOM cardholders (upon presentation). Guided tour with a museum lecturer : €18.
- Pets welcome
Documentation languages (home)
Single mean time tour90 mins
Single services tour
- Unguided individual tours available permanently
- Accessible for wheelchairs with assistance
- Absence of slope > 5%
- Doors >=77 cm wide
- Internal doors with easy openings
- Lift (80 x 130 cm) and door >= 77 cm
- WC + grab handle + adequate space to move
- Site, building partially accessible