Exhibition Ticket - Return from Asia. Henri Cernuschi, a collector in the age of Japonisme
From October 6 to February 4 2024, discover the commemorative exhibition "Return from Asia" dedicated to the 150th anniversary of Henri Cernuschi's return to Paris after a long journey to the Far East, where he created one of the very first Asian Art Museums.
Henri Cernuschi (1821-1896) explored Japan, China, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and India, gathering a prodigious collection of Asian art. His acquisitions shaped one of the most important European collections of his time.
The exhibition highlights Cernuschi's considerable and innovative role in the artistic revolution now known as Japonisme.
Between 1871 and 1873, over 5,000 pieces of art made their way to Paris: bronzes, ceramics, paintings, prints, lacquered and carved wooden objects, photographs and illustrated books. These Chinese and Japanese treasures immediately captivated the artists and craftsmen of the time. The shapes and motifs became sources of inspiration for a whole generation of designers in Europe.
To showcase its rich and unique collection, Cernuschi built a museum, a veritable temple of Asian Art, which quickly became a highlight of Japonisme in Paris.
To mark this exceptional anniversary, the museum's permanent collections reveal restored Japanese carved dragons, a rare opportunity to admire them in their entirety for the first time since 1930.
Reserve your tickets now for this uniquely adorned exhibition, which will transport you to the heart of the history of Asian Art in Europe!
Opening days and times
- Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 6pm
- Closed Mondays and public holidays
- Early closing at 5pm on 24⁄12 and 31⁄12
Pricing and conditions
- Single entry ticket: € 11.70
- Free for children under 18 (upon presentation of ID).
- Ticket valid for selected date and time.
- Tickets cannot be changed, exchanged or refunded.
Prepare your visit
- Checkroom facilities are available.
- Luggage larger than 40 cm is not permitted in the museum.
- Strollers are not permitted.
Get to the Musée Cernuschi
- Metro: line 2 - Villiers or Monceau
- Bus: lines 30, 93 - Malesherbes/Courcelles; line 84 - Ruysdaël/ Parc Monceau
7, avenue Velasquez
75008 PARIS 08