In a beautiful setting listed as a historic monument, the oldest Parisian pastry shop offers a sweet moment with an exceptional atmosphere, in the bubbling rue Montorgueil and a stone's throw from the Forum des Halles.
Louis XV’s pastry chef, Nicolas Stohrer, gave his name to this place, which for many years was the workshop where the desserts of the royal court were made. Since 1730, master pastry chefs have been creating odes to pleasure in the form of Puits d’Amour and other tasty creations. It is also the place for baba au rhum lovers – it was invented here! Nicolas Stohrer was the man behind this mainstay dessert based on a dry brioche soaked in Malaga wine along with pastry cream and grapes. The setting has of course changed over the years, but it will still transport you back to the time of the Second Empire. The gold work, sparkling chandeliers, wall murals and stuccoes are the work of Paul Baudry, the creator of the Opera Garnier décor.
Today, Jeffrey Cagnes carries on the tradition of pastry excellence, which earned him the visit of Queen Elizabeth II in 2004 and the award for Paris’s Best Chocolate Eclair in 2011. Pretty impressive!
Don't miss the bakeries and pastry shops bearing the Historic Monuments label in Paris Region.
Access and contact
Métros : Sentier (L3) Les halles (L4) Etienne Marcel (L4)
Days and opening hours
All year round, daily between 7.30 am and 8.30 pm. Summer closure : The 2 first weeks of August.