Jean Dubuffet’s Tour aux Figures
Perched at the top of a hill, Dubuffet’s twenty-four-metre high and twelve-metre wide Tour aux Figures is a feature of the Parc Départemental de l’Île Saint-Germain in Issy-les-Moulineaux that really is hard to miss!
The peculiar structure, which is made of reinforced concrete and covered in an epoxy resin shell, features unmistakeable black designs against a white background with red and blue detailing. The style is typical of the so-called Hourloupe cycle developed by the artist himself. Originally, the tower was designed to be toured from the inside, where a set of black and white steps awaits. To access the 117 m-long “Gastrovolve” staircase nowadays though, you’ll need to be booked onto a guided tour – you can do this on the tower’s website. The steep climb takes you as close as you can get to the designs embellishing the structure’s ceiling.
The less adventurous, meanwhile, can head to the welcome area and facilities nearby. This space is free to visit during the tower’s opening hours, and features an exhibition, a video area showing archive footage and interviews with professionals, a virtual tour and a children’s play area. It’s the perfect place to explore the roots of design as seen by this innovative artist and pioneer of the Art Brut movement.
Access and contact
Days and opening hours
Warning, this place is temporarily closed
- Full price: 8 € Reduced price: 6 € (Under 26 years of age Beneficiaries of the large family card, Beneficiaries of minimum social benefits: RSA, single parent allowance, APA, Jobseeker, Disabled person and one accompanying adult, Pass malin" beneficiaries, Groups of 10 or more, Departmental museum subscribers, Association d'amis de musée partenaire et des musées départementaux, Teacher, Guide-conférencier, Veteran).
Group rate available for > 12 people.
Workshop tour for families Full price: €5 per person Reduced rate : 3 € per person.
- Booking obligatory
- Guided tours
Single mean time tour60 mins
Single services tour
- Guided inividual tours obligatory
170 Quai de Stalingrad
- Copyright images:
- ADAGP/ CD92 - Olivier Ravoire
- ADAGP / CD 92 - Olivier Ravoire
- ADAGP/ CD92 - Willy Labre