Abbey of Notre-Dame du Lys,
Founded by Saint Louis at the behest of his mother Blanche of Castile, the abbey welcomed its first nuns, transferred from Maubisson Abbey, in 1248. The king’s protégées, young girls from good families, and repented sinners took refuge there.
The convent buildings, burnt down in 1358 during the Hundred Years’ War, were gradually rebuilt from the 15th century on. Restored in the 17th century, it slowly lost its prestige until the French Revolution when, having been pillaged, it was used as a cattle pen. In 1794, some of the buildings were destroyed and it was sold to a Swiss buyer as a romantic ruin in 1797.
The ruins of the abbey, which are still visible today and bear witness to the past splendour of the buildings, were finally given listed historic monument status in 1930.
Take a pleasant stroll off the beaten track and enjoy a place conducive to relaxation and daydreaming.
Access and contact
Days and opening hours
All year round, daily.